02 September 2013

Home Alone

Day off, not much to do and my better half is in San Francisco.
In secret I like these kind of days, no obligations, no plans and just a lot of time for myself.

Obviously I need to spoil myself a bit and what better then some simple good food, a bottle of red and TV? Tonight it turned out to be an Italian theme; home made pappardelle with meat sauce and in the glass 2001 Brunello di Montalcino from Casanova di Neri in Tuscany, Italy. Their more prestigious 2001 Tenuta Nuovo Brunello di Montalcino got voted "wine of the year 2006" by Wine Spectator and their "top of the line", single vineyard 2001 Cerretalto Brunello di Montalcino got a perfect 100p from the same famous American wine magazine. So despite all these accolades this producer got the proof is always in the glass. Bottle to bottle, palate to palate, a wine is never the same.

I opened the bottle while kneading the pasta dough and poured a bit in my big Reidel glass. The nose was still very concentrated and deep with aromas of sour red fruits, newly ground coffee, olives and baked root vegetables. Even though the wine will easily last another 5-10 years I must say it drank perfectly now. Soft texture with earthy notes of sweet and sour berries and coffee on the palate.





Together with my perfect meat sauce and freshly made pappardelle it was a simple but fantastic treat to myself.





2 comments:

Tobias Göth said...

Long time no see Nico. Great reading about food and wine, with someone obviously as passionate about it as yourself behind the wheel. It does make me long for some solid Italian and perhaps a glass of red. My slight hestation on the wine due my love for craft beer. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Tack Tobias, nä det var inte igår. Tro mej, jag älskar öl också :)